Thursday 24 December 2009

Heading for the sun

The trip has finally begun!

Four days ago Tracy and I set off from Edinburgh on my motorbike heading south for Christmas in Guildford, after which we will be heading to Portsmouth on the 27th for a ferry bound for Northern Spain.

What a week for starting the journey. Some parts of Britain have received the worst snow for 20 years. One thing which really is almost impossible on a motorbike is riding on snow or ice on the roads. One tiny slip and you are off the bike - and the speed you are travelling determines the speed you hit the ground.

The week before we left was spent scanning the weather forecast trying to work out how to get to London without:
a) Freezing to death
b) Sliding on the snow and ice

We left Edinburgh with Tracy on the back of the bike, with clear gritted roads in Edinburgh. Being 24 hours since the last snow I foolishly thought the A1 would have been cleared and gritted. The first stretch was clear, although very cold, but from Dunbar the A1 deteriorated into an icy nightmare. Travelling at 50 miles per hour down a tyres-width clearing in the snow made by cars became seriously dangerous. Pulling off the road would have proved worse, as cars where right behind us, and deep snow on the slip roads made it impossible to stop safely. This, combined with minus degrees celsius and a 50 mile per hour wind chill resulted in the first days riding being both dangerous and downright unpleasant.

We are now down near Guildford with Tracy's Mum and husband after overnight stops in Newcastle to see Tracy's brother and family, and Sheffield to visit the home we moved into after returning from South Africa.

I suppose it was apt that when I visited the school in Sheffield that I first attended in 1980 as a young boy returning from South Africa the walk there was just as cold and slushy as it was the first day I attended all those years ago.

I also made a visit to the house we moved to, in which my mother passed away in November last year. It felt to me that this is where my journey was really starting from. I did not feel any particularly strong emotions standing outside the house - but the reailization that I was at the start of the journey I have dreamed of for so many years was clear.

Today Tracy and I made a Christmas Eve visit to my brother David's house to see him, his wife and their 4 children. We spent some time sorting through family photos from the 60's to the late noughties. Together we enjoyed sorting through photos of our parents as young, happy newlyweds. We found the photo of my father taken 20 minutes before he tragicly died from a heart attack whist running in the 1983 Sheffield half marathon, just 3 years after our return from South Africa. One photo shows my mother and my Grandpa, taken in the begining of 2008 - a year that neither of them would see the end of. Whilst we sifted through the boxes of photos, there was a cacophony of David and Cally's children playing - the next generation. It was a moment to reflect upon the inevitable cyclical nature of life. I miss both my parents terribly but love my nieces and nephews who will be our family's future.

My family now feels closer than ever, and the exciting news that Tracy is pregnant warms my heart - our child that will ensure that a little bit of my father and mother lives on.  This trip is really all about my family, and my coming to terms with all that has happened in the years since leaving South Africa.  To spend time with all my family at the start of the journey seems just right.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you guys never do things by half!! The trip down south sounds totally terrifying and I am glad you both made it one piece. In a month or so you will look back at the freezing temperatures with envy I'm sure!! Crazy to think that you can go from one extreme in climate to another so quickly.

    Loved the video message by the way. Can't wait to hear all your news from the next stop. How's the bike, is it running well? Are you getting some good photos? Did you find tootoo in pink for Thomo to wear yet?!!

    Its still snow central up here and its forecast to continue for another week or so! Inverness was closed off completely yesterday. Cars are skidding everywhere, especially BMW's and Mercedes, which is highly entertaining to watch!!

    New Year in Ardfern with Fi G, Eleanor, Fat One, Fi L and John, was superb, great memories!

    Fi G, Fi L and I are going up to stay with the Fat One on the weekend and go ski touring - hope the blue skies stay till Monday!

    Take care both of you, can't wait to get the next istallment.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete