Friday 4 December 2009

Almost ready to leave

Last week the plans for this trip finally started to come together. The last piece of the puzzle was the arrival of the Carnet de Passage, a temporary import document supplied by the RAC, to allow the bike to pass through Africa without having to pay huge import duties.

For the first time in the preparation I had the sudden realization that this trip is going to happen. When planning a trip like this there is so much to learn, buy and sort out, that the objective of actually living the dream gets lost for a while.

This week I took the bike into my local Yamaha dealer for the last few changes, and a final check over. A heavy duty bash plate was fitted to protect the engine, a center stand fitted so working on the bike on the road isn't too much of a pain, and a power source for the GPS has also been fitted.

I've also had my head stuck into a 'Motorcycle Tech Book' this week - and yes it is as boring as it sounds. But I'm hoping the pain of learning how my bike works will be appreciated when I'm out on the road. About my final job to do to the bike is to change the tires for some 'knobblies' before I leave. I am forcing myself to change them myself, rather than at a garage, as I really need to know I can fix a puncture myself!

In equal measure I'm looking forward to getting on the road at the end of the month, but also dreading the day I say my goodbyes to my wife. This journey has been a dream for so long, and I just wish I could share it with Tracy. In some ways I'm also hoping this trip is going to be a turning of the page - from my desires during my younger years of completing this trip and all it represents to moving on with my life and following new dreams. I don't know what I'll feel when I arrive back in South Africa (assuming I make it), but I expect there will be some mixed emotions. One thing is for sure though – it won’t be simple getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment