Friday 2 October 2009

It will happen...


I've harboured a dream for almost as long as I can remember.

As a child my family lived in Springs on the East Rand of Johannesburg. Due to the political problems at the time, my parents felt it prudent to move back to the the UK in late 1979. My father had a great plan to drive the family home in a VW camper through the heart of Africa over several months. Grandparents were obviously a little nervous at the prospect of their grandchildren spending months away from school in a hostile environment. My father, unperturbed, bought us some school books and carried on planning. We went on a recce to Botswana to test the 'Combi' and its occupants. Soon before departure for the trip my father realised that due to Apartide and Southern African politics at the time, he couldn't get us beyond Victoria falls in Zimbabwe because of wars and bureaucracy. We flew to London in December 1979.

Being back in the UK; a country I had no memories of, was a shock to the system. Sunshine and freedom was soon replaced by Parker Jackets, Moon Boots, dirty slushy roads and grey skies. I was apparently a misery for the first couple of years back at home, and I just looked at a map of the world on our kitchen wall in Sheffield dreaming of living elsewhere. I vowed there and then to recreate the journey.

For me South Africa and Sheffield were alien to each other. There was no connection for me between the places; one was full of sunshine, game parks and out door pools, whilst the other was full of gloom and imposing Victorian schools. My idea from the outset was to link the two parts of my early life to create a physical link, overland through Africa and Europe, to shown the connections and people as well as how the landscapes, cultures and ideas change between my two homes.

When I first arrived back to the UK, I was culturally South African, but after a few years back in the UK, I now realise, I became British, but I still hold dearly to my soul the memories of my childhood in South Africa.

My feeble attempts to execute my dream first showed at University in the early 90's when I spent more time in book shop travel sections than in the Uni library. I planned to cycle through Europe and East Africa from Cairo to Cape Town. For various reasons I did go to east Africa but did not overland the whole way. A couple of years later I had the bright idea of becoming a driver with an African Overland company. I got my truck licence, did mechanics and off road driving courses before applying to work for Encounter Overland. To be honest it was my own fears that held me back that time - and the responsibility for all the guests in such a harsh environment at that time. Many beery nights have been spent with friends since dreaming about the journey.

My father passed away in 1983, and my mother in November last year. It is funny how such things change you in more ways than just grief.

With the support of my most wonderful wife we have just committed ourselves to the project, with the plan to start the journey by motorbike this Christmas.  I will set off from Edinburgh and bike as far as we can get - the ultimate goal is Cape Town.  My wife will join me for as much of the journey as she can.

No comments:

Post a Comment